Listen to gigglyannes Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Jayce

Jayce
Sweet, funny, a hardworker, loving, kind and a good friend to anyone he meets. He will make you laugh and then say "what? What I say? What I do?" He's a very funny boy!

Alek

Alek
Sweet, calm, friendly, kind and loving. He will do whatever he can to make you happy, and strives to be a the best person he can.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Jayce and Alek

12 years old...
I can't believe 12 years ago today I met my boys for the first time!
August 10, 1998 was a whirlwind of a day. I went into labor at 12:01, 10 weeks earlier than expected. Nervous and scared we packed up and left for the hospital. When we got there the nurses and staff weren't really sure what to do. They called my doctor, and he came in to check me, he looked at me and said these guys are going to be little and they will have a rough start. Baby A is stressed and his heartbeat is fading in and out. Baby B is breach but doesn't seem to be stressed. The doctor gave us a few options. He said we could stay at Alta View Hospital and hope for the best, or we could be transferred to U of U hospital where they were a little more equipped to handle premature babies. We left the decision up to Dr. Larsen as we felt he knew best. He decided to call life flight to have them on hand just in case anything went wrong but he felt confident that he and the hosptial staff could handle their births.
After 14 1/2 hours of labor Jayce was born. He was so beautiful. He was wide eyed and content. He didn't cry, he just looked around at his new surroundings. I got to look at him for just a minute then they whisked him away to make sure he was healthy. A few minutes later Dr. Larsen explained that Baby B was more breach than he expected and was being very stubborn. He had to literally pull Alek out. He was born feet first, face up and not breathing. He was purple and lifeless. I didn't get to see him but Grant said it was very scarey. The nurses were all quiet while the doctor's worked on Alek. It seemed like an eternity. Finally I heard them say he is breathing, then I heard a tiny little whimper, then they whisked him away too! Because of his condition I didn't get to see him until he was almost 2 hours old.
Jayce was 3 lbs 11 oz born at 2:33 p.m. and Alek was 5 lbs 3 oz born at 2:38 p.m. Only 5 minutes apart.
Shortly after they were born, Alek was diagnosed with Hyaline Membrane Disease and a broken left clavical. It was decided that he would be better treated at Primary Children's and that he needed to be placed on life support to sustain him. It was heart-wrenching. When Alek was 8 hours old he was hooked up to a life support machine and life flighted to PCMC. I had to say goodbye to him without ever getting to hold him. Jayce was as healthy as could be, but iddy bitty! So he stayed at Alta View with me. Five days after they were born I was released from the hospital. Jayce had to stay because he was struggeling with keeping his body temperature up.
Grant and I drove up to PCMC as fast as we could. When we got there Alek was hooked up to all sorts of machines, but the doctors re-assured me he was doing great and that if all went well he would be off life support with-in a day or two. Alek surprised everyone and was taken off life support the next day! He's a fighter! I was finaly able to hold him.
After many long days in the hospital's Jayce and Alek both came home. It was a happy day.
Now 12 years later, it's hard to believe that they had such a hard start in life.
I am so proud of you Jayce and Alek. I can't believe you are 12. I love you! Happy Birthday!

/Jayce+001.jpg">